GUATEMALA COMMUNITY MOSAIC AND RETREAT
CREATING AND INSTALLING AN ARCHITECTURAL INSTALLATION
Location: Camp Bella Soul, Acton, ME
Dates: August 12-15, 2017
Workshop Fee: $475
Materials Fee: $15
Time: Saturday-Tuesday, 10am to 3pm, with a 45-minute lunch break
This class is for anyone who has ever wanted to learn how to draw to scale, create a design, and fully experience the process of installation. Each student will draw a sketch for your own (small) installation. I will help you tighten the design, materials and method. For this project, we will be working with heavy ceramic and quarry tile. The tile will be cut and fitted to a template designed for the fireplace in the workshop of Camp Bella Soul (sorry y’all, can’t take this one home!) but you will take your own design with you, all mapped out and ready to use. We will be working with large pieces of tile, cut both by hand and with a tile saw.
There is a physical component to this class. You will be standing and using a tile saw; you may be on your hands and knees and you will need to stand up to adhere the tile to the fireplace walls. This is not heavy lifting but it is about being able to work from floor to ceiling. Make sure you are up for it, and bring your creativity, and your can-do spirit!
WORKSHOP Learning Objectives
- Students will sketch, layout and ultimately create a template as a guide to assist with layout and placement of the tiles on a vertical surface.
- Students will learn to cut, shape, and adhere tile. This knowledge will translate to other types of backsplash and vertical installations. The tile used during class is also suitable for horizontal applications.
- Students will learn what is needed to prepare walls for tiling, how to mix the cementitious adhesive and get used to spreading it as well as understanding slaking, open time and where to start and complete an installation.
- Attention will be paid to pattern, interstice, edges and creating a clean and polished installation.
- Day one – Sketch, adjust layout, and choose colors for your own installation
- Day two – Complete your own template in the am. After lunch, begin the fireplace template.
- Day three – Cut/Fit tile according to the template, become accustomed to adhering the tile directly.
- Day four – Finish edges, grout, clean fill in any open space. Round table review, critique and short private consultation with each student to help with future projects of this nature and to assist in determining goals if time permits.
To register for this class and book accommodation, go to http://campbellasoul.com/creating-and-installing-an-architectural-installation/
FROM SOUL TO SURFACE: CREATIVE AND MEDITATIVE MOSAIC
Location: Camp Bella Soul, Acton, ME
Dates: August 19-20, 2017
Workshop Fee: $285
Materials Fee: $25Time: Saturday & Sunday, 10am-3pm
Year 2 of “From Soul to Surface®” with a focus on looking deep inside to expand and release your sense of creativity. This gentle slow paced class is geared towards women who want to open themselves to becoming more artistically aware….everyone is welcome. In this journey of self-exploration, you will mosaic a mandala to use as a meditative tool. Also included: guided visualizations, meditation, contemplation, campfires, lake views and restorative time with others on similar journeys. Designed for all levels.
To register for this class and book accommodation, go to:
DALLE de VERRE and PEBBLE MOSAIC PANELS
Location: SWH Art Studio, Bell Buckle, TN
Dates: September 6 – 10, 2017
Workshop Fee: $700
Materials Fee: $80
Limit: 10 students
Time: Wednesday – Saturday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sunday, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Dalle de Verre is the French word for thick glass paste slabs as well as the techniques for creating stained glass panels using them. This workshop will introduce you to designing and constructing small panels using Dalle de Verre with or without pebble accents.
Participants will create original designs, select glass, and build a simple mold. Learn how to shape the glass using a tile saw, followed by faceting the surface with a carbide tipped hammer. Uniquely formed glass shapes will be cast in concrete to complete the project, a 12” x 12” panel. There will be plenty of time to experiment with materials and tools.
This is the only time and location Deb will be teaching this class in 2017.
Register for this class at https://swhartstudioinc.wordpress.com/workshop-registration-form/
PEBBLE MOSAICS TWO WAYS
Location: Mosaic Guys, Tucson, AZ
Dates: October 15-16, 2017
More information to follow….
Please note, due to Deb’s limited teaching schedule in 2017, this will be the only pebble mosaic workshop she will be teaching this year, so be sure to register early!
To be placed on the registration list, please contact the Mosaic Guys at http://www.mosaicguys.com/contact-us.html